Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Topics

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a new top ten list is posted for us bloggers to share the books we love and discuss anything book related! To see more details about Top Ten Tuesday click HERE

I am so behind on all of my posts, and I apologize guys! I had my last final this morning, and have been celebrating that its summer ever since. So now I have come in for the night, and am ready to bang out some new posts, prepare yourselves :)

This week's TTT is top ten books dealing with tough topics. As mentioned by The Broke and the Bookish, this can be anything from abuse, suicide, grief, to whatever speaks to you personally. This week is the opposite of last week's light and fluffy books we discussed (You can find mine HERE). Here is my line-up:








1) Still Alice by Lisa Genova: This book deals with a family member who has been diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease. The main character in Still Alice tells her story of her life with Alzheimers.

2) Fifty Shades Series by E.L. James: Alright guys, don't laugh at me. If you usually read my posts, you probably noticed that this pops up in almost all of my top ten Tuesdays. I really do love this book. In this book the characters are dealing with a rough childhood. I do not want to go into detail for those who have not read it, but those of you that have should know what I am talking about. 

3) The Help by Kathryn Stockett: I am sure most of you know what this book is about, even if you have not read it or seen the movie. Just in case you do not or you want a refresher, this is a book about life as a black maid in 1962. I absolutely love this book, if you have not read it I highly recommend it. 

4) Wait for You by J. Lynn: I actually just did a review on this book! You can see it HERE. In this book, the main character is trying to run away from her past where she was raped. This book was an amazing story. The rape is hinted at a lot in the first part of the book so we, as readers, are able to figure out the basic story of what happened to our leading lady, Avery, pretty quickly but as the story develops it tells you more about what happend to her in her past and what made her run.

5) Slammed by Colleen Hoover: I am actually still reading this book, but I can tell you that it has already made its way up to an all time favorite. I started this book just wanting to read about a love story but got so much more. This book has me going on a crazy emotional roller coaster. I am not sure about everything, even if I was I would not want to ruin it for you, but the main characters in this book have had and are going through a lot of loss in their lives. Their stories are heartbreaking. I can't wait to finish this book and give you a review :)

6) The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks: Really any of his books are devastating, bu this one is my favorite. I always end up crying like a baby with his books, in this one especially. This is a story about a girl and her little brother who go to live with their Dad for a summer. At the end of the summer... Eh, that is too much of a spoiler. Just be prepared to cry if you have not read this one yet. 

7) My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult: This is a book about a young girl who has been conceived and raised to donate blood (and whatever else is needed) for her sister with cancer. In this book the young girl is fighting her parents for the rights to her own body so her parents can no longer force her to donate for her sister. This book had me crying constantly. It is such a touching, yet heartbreaking story about this young girl. If you have not read this, I highly recommend it. 

8) Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer: This book is the story of a boy who lost his dad in the 9/11 attacks in New York. The main character is on a journey to find lock a key fits into, with the belief that it will help him accept his father's death.

9) Broken by William Cope Moyers: This book is a true story about Cope's drug addiction and recovery. It has been so long since I have read it, that I cannot remember much else unfortunately. I had to read this book for an addictions class I took my freshman year of college, and it was definitely an intense read. 

10) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling: The main character in this book is 11 years old. Both of his parents were murdered when he was a baby. Now he is stuck living with his horrible Aunt and Uncle and their bratty, spoiled son. Every day his life is miserable, the poor kid even has to sleep in a closet under the stairs. Then he gets his Hogwarts letter :) 



Sorry guys, but I had to put that last one on there. I was getting really depressed by my list and thought some Harry Potter would make it better :) Anyway I hope you enjoyed this and it didn't make you too sad. There is a lot of death and loss mentioned here. This was actually a pretty hard topic for me. As much as I love the books with tough topics, I usually go for the light, fluffy reads because they make a good happy escape. 

What books are on your list this week??


1 comment:

  1. Great list! I have only read Slammed, but I have others on my TBR, and just added Just Alice and My Sister's Keeper.
    Here's my TTT post.
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...