Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover



Book: Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover
Published: January 5th 2012 by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 5 (big bright shiny stars)/5 Stars
Genre: New Adult 

Goodreads Summary:
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart."

My thoughts:

This is the second Bout of Books read-a-thon book I have completed :)

When I first heard of this book, it was in a booktube review. I cannot remember who it was, or what they said exactly but I remember thinking I had to read this book. Since then, about a month ago, this book has been on my TBR list. Every time I went to pick out a new book, and I read the goodreads synopsis on this one. Every time I thought, "Eh, I'll read it next week."

I'm not really sure what it is about this synopsis, but I just assumed it would be another insta-love gone wrong book. I was trying to think of all kind of "shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt." I think I had probably come up with a million scary different things that all ended in this being a silly overrated book. I will be the fist to admit it guys, I WAS WRONG. So terribly, incredibly wrong. 

This book is amazing. There is nothing silly or overrated about it. This book tells the story of a love, that even though it seemed like insta-love at first really is not.(Even if it was insta-love, the reader would know exactly what they were getting themselves into with the synopsis. It clearly states "Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection" You have been warned). Will and Layken go out on a date and have a wonderful time, they come home and they are both so happy. Then shortly after, they are forced to end their relationship. Just in this short section of the book, you will laugh, cry, and everything in between. This book brought out emotions I have not felt in a long time due to reading. It was incredibly refreshing.

Things I enjoyed about this book:

- It was a genuinely good book. Not the cheesy, cute but fluffy book that we all enjoy or the super intense type of book that we all love, but a real honest book that reminds us that life happens. It does not stop for us, it keeps moving every day, and to appreciate what we have. If you have read this book, you should recognize these themes, they are clearly stated in the book. It was such a nice change to read a book that was not some crazy paranormal or unrealistic book. It just showed an honest relationship. And not just a romantic relationship  it show a relationship between mother and daughter, siblings, friendship, and so much more. 

-In this book, the character's went to poetry slams. This exposed me to something new that I have not done but would really like to. It was also something I have not read about before. It was cool to read this book and feel like I was experiencing something completely new.

-I didn't see any of this happening. There is so much more to this book, than just a relationship  And I could never have predicted any of it. Everything that happened was unexpected, but not in a "The author did that to trick me" kind of way, but more in a "life happens" kind of way. 

Things I didn't like about this book:

-That I didn't read it sooner. Seriously guys, thats the only bad thing I've got and its my fault, no one elses. It was that good pure genius. 

Overall: Colleen Hoover did a wonderful job with this book, it is a new all time favorite. If anyone ever asks me to recommend a book, this will be it. Hands down, no questions asked. I love this book. If you have not read it yet, drop what your doing, put you other books aside, and read this. NOW. Kay, thanks :)

2 comments:

  1. The book sounds really intriguing and great thoughts! You should also check out ted talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0snNB1yS3IE

    I hope you enjoy and I hope to see you around my blog :)

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really did love this book, it was awesome! I'll go check it out :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...